Sunday, October 12, 2008

How was your day Honey

Well Pappa likes to start a project and take forever to finish it!
I know its part of the mental health issue, but I guess it makes it hard for me issue. But I deal with it-just post it and share.
Jeffery has always been a busy person always having to do something. If he does a project he is real anal about it being perfect and the more his illness progresses the more anal he is. Example when he puts up boards like for a wall-they call the studs, why do they call them that, who knows anyways. When he puts up the studs he puts 5 nails in each end, 5- 2 &1/2 inch nails that are twisted nails. I guess I could safely say that if he builds me a house that maybe if a tornado goes through the house will still be standing?
Well lately his project has been building a shed at our new home. I actually like to call it a small garage. We have moved to a trailer park, that is pretty relaxed about what you do with your lot just as long as it not make it look like hillbilly heaven-how can you do that in a trailer park? Pappa asked the park manager 3 times about any measurement restrictions and they said as long as it is on a cement pad and decent looking. Inside I was shaking my head and saying he will build a pole barn if has the room!
Well thats all fine and dandy if he wants to keep himself busy with building and fixing things BUT he is also a procrastionator. He will start something and not finish it for a very LONG time. In our last house it was going on almost 3 years that my bathroom was an 1/8 of the way done. Which is one of the thing I just let go and because at least he is doing something (from time to time). Well here we cannot leave this shed half way done for a long periods of time.

Also I cannot work with him on big projects he has his opions I have mine. He asks me mine then tells me how he does not like it and goes back to his opioion or if something does not work with it or breaks later on he say it was my idea.

So one of the things Pappa likes to do too is right before I'm on my way home from work (about 4:30-5) everyday he starts doing stuff to make it look like he has been doing stuff all day besides sleeping and watching tv. I know this because in the morning when I leave I see how much is done on the shed and then when I get home he is about in the same spot as where he left the day before. Just close my eyes-tell myself he's out doing something and having a good day, just let it go! and it's gone for today.

This all gets better with time (I used to have "fits"), so I really choose my battles.


Pappas favorite saying and he has this on a t-shirt "procrastionators unite tomorrow"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny t-shirt! lol

It's hard to live with someone who has a mental illness, whether you have one yourself or not. It takes a great amount of patience but then again, what choice do we have, right?

By the way, I love A Beautiful Mind and The Notebook. You have great taste.